Thursday 31 January 2013

Vampire Weekend

I have no idea where these guys have gone, but I want them back. Now. They were the band du jour in the summer of 2009, a year after their self-titled first album came out. They then released Contra, their incredible second album, in 2010, and three years later, not a peep has been heard out of them since.

It's a real shame because both of these albums a) showed promise for a properly good pop band and b) had me dancing around like a loon all summer long. My absolute favourite is Oxford Comma , a song about the injustice of the class system, with a great guitar riff. Trust me to pick the deepest one as my favourite...!

Although the two albums are similar in that all the songs have a rhythm and riffs inspired by African music, they're different in their own right. When I first heard Contra, I didn't like it because it wasn't what I was expecting to hear from the people who'd made A-Punk. But really, who wants the expected? A surprise is good for us. It's now one of my favourite albums, and rightly so.

(Truth be told, they're not the most gorgeous of lads, but they make great music.)

'Til next time, folks, hope you enjoyed it! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment